Updated: Jan 8
The A2 English test is one of the CEFR levels described by the Council of Europe.
Purpose of A2 English language test: After two-and-a-half years in the UK, non-EEA nationals on the five-year partner or parent route to the settlement must pass a SELT in speaking and listening at A2 English level in order to qualify for further leave to remain, Visa extension, spouse/partner visa extension, family life as a parent (Parent of a dependent)
A2 English language test is conducted so as to check the ability to deal with simple, straightforward information and begin to express oneself in familiar contexts.
That is to understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment). Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters. Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment, and matters in areas of immediate need.
It is a speaking and listening test only. The course material is provided for free after booking the test.
Format of A2 English Test:
● 7-minute speaking and listening test
● Provisional results on the same day
● The certificate usually sent within 7 days
● Speaking and listening only
Guidelines for A2 English test for the visa.
The official can-do statements are broken down into smaller pieces for teaching purposes. This more detailed skill breakdown can help you assess your own English level, or help a teacher assess a student’s level who is applying to get the visa. For example, a student at the A2 level in English will be able to do all the things that a person in level A1 can do, and in addition, he will be able to:
● Understand and use basic phrases and expressions.
● Communicate a certain amount of information relating to basic everyday circumstances.
● Describe an accident or injury, get medical help from a doctor, and fill a prescription for medicine.
● engage in basic business socializing, welcoming guests, and attending networking events.
● understand and make basic business proposals in your area of expertise.
● talk about and explain the rules of games.
● describe your past life, giving details about important milestones.
● entertain someone in your home or visit a friend or colleague in their home.
● discuss your vacation plans and tell friends and colleagues about your vacation afterward.
● talk about the natural world and travels to see animals and natural areas in your country.
● talk about movies that you like and choose a movie to see with friends.
Why A2 English Language Test?
Apart from getting a visa extension, there are various other benefits of doing A2 English language certification, such as,
➢ You can gain a valuable qualification in a language that is accepted worldwide
➢ A2 English test can be the best way of improving your work, study, and travel prospects.
➢ It also shows that you have the basic language skills you need to communicate in English.
Tips to Clear A2 English Test
● Practice PracticePractice! You need to be prepared before appearing for the test. Check with pronunciations, learn some phrases, and find out what the examiner is looking for.
● Examiner is not your enemy: It is the examiner’s responsibility to provide you with the opportunity to display your language skills. So don’t get nervous, the examiner will be there to help you.
● Don’t speak too fast: Speak calmly and clearly. Listen and understand the question properly and then give an answer. If you are unclear, ask the examiner for clarification.
“The sooner the better” Get yourself registered right away, to get the A2 level certificate which can change your life in many ways.